Nature has always been very important to me. I love spending time on the nearest lake and I head into the woods with my dog everyday. No matter the season and no matter the weather I try to spend one hour a day outdoors. When you have a full-time job, a blog, relationships to maintain and a lot of other stuff to do, it’s not always easy to find time to do it. But I’ve found out that this is a time investment I really want to make and it has definitely paid off.
In my opinion, having a strong and close relationship with nature is very important to our well-being. Way too many people spend their days sitting at the office and heading to the gym or home after the day without ever spending time in fresh air. I think that’s just sad, because the researches have proven that spending time in the fresh air has a huge amount of health benefits. So I suggest that after a long day at work you’ll spend some time outdoors.
Why you should spend one hour a day outdoors
Did you know that spending time outdoors benefits both our physical and mental health? Well, it definitely does! Here are some examples
- Spending time outdoors boosts your working memory
- Hanging out in nature helps when you are feeling mentally fatigue
- Nature helps you to relieve stress
- Spending time in the nature reduces your inflammation
- Time spent outdoors protects your eyes and improves your vision
- It also helps you to stay focused
- And it boosts your thinking and creativity
- Aaaand it has possible anti-cancer effects as well
Did I get you convinced? I hope so. Personally, I think spending time outdoors helps me to de-stress after a long day at work but it also balances my office-job, because usually spending time outdoors means more physical activity also. I don’t go to the gym but exercise outdoors instead. Sometimes I just do some light walking, sometimes I run, in the winter I love ice-skating or cross-country skiing and in summer I do some gardening. All these are definitely not-sitting-and-staring-the-screen kind of activities and that’s why spending one hour outdoors everyday helps me to keep my life more balanced.
I’ve also noticed other benefits. For example I stay fit and sleep better. After one hour outdoors I usually feel pretty tired and it’s easier to fall asleep. This has been a huge game-changer for me because I have always had some difficulties with falling asleep.
What to do outdoors
If you are not used to spend any time outdoors, at first it may be hard to imagine what to do woutdoors for a whole hour. Actually, possibilities are endless. There’s so much you can do. And the best part is that you don’t need your own garden. You can spend time outdoors without owning a piece of land. Here are some ideas for you.
- Hike in the national park
- Have a walk in the nearest park
- Go kayaking
- Ice skate
- Go skiing
- Play some tennis or badminton with your friends
- Do some gardening if you have a garden
- Go running
- Do some bodyweight exercising
- Have a picnic
- Take your bike and go for a ride
- Read a book outdoors
- Go taking some new instagram photos outdoors
- Take your sketchbook and draw something you see outdoors
- Just sit on the grass and do some journaling
So, I highly recommend you try to spend one hour a day outdoors and I guarantee you’ll notice all the benefits very quickly.
What do you think? Do you spend enough time in the nature?